At the beginning of a plastic injection molding program, investing in bridge tooling (e.g., family molds) to bridge the gap between R&D/prototypes and multi-cavity production tools can be a good, cost-effective approach to take. Here are 10 reasons why.
1. It’s LESS EXPENSIVE to build fewer, low-volume molds, than it is to fabricate more, multi-cavity, high-volume tools.
Fewer Molds 👉🏻 Less Labor + Fewer Materials 👉🏻 Lower Initial Investment
2. Bridge tools give you the ability to PRODUCE PARTS AT SCALE, which is cost prohibitive for methods like 3D printing.
Generally speaking, injection molding is faster ⏩ and
cheaper 💰 than additive manufacturing
3. It’s USUALLY QUICKER to get bridge tools built and validated, so you can get to market sooner.
Fewer molds to build + Lower complexity tooling = Shorter build time
4. Selling your product sooner means having the ability to test the market and to start garnering MARKET SHARE and demand.
Start selling 🏪 and marketing 📣 your product!
Find out what works 👍🏻 and what doesn’t 👎🏻!
5. Sales results in WORKING CAPITAL, which will help fund the fabrication of multiple cavity, high-volume molds later.
Sales = 💲💲💲
6. Selling product will provide you with valuable MARKET FEEDBACK on functionality, issues, pricing, etc.
Your customers will tell you what they like, don’t like, and want!
7. Actually molding parts will uncover areas of improvement in PART DESIGN, TOOLING AND MANUFACTURING.
Your molder can identify 🔬 part and mold design changes 🛠️
to optimize part quality ⚙️ and the manufacturing process 🏭
8. Insights gleaned from the market and from suppliers can be used to REVISE AND IMPROVE your product.
Designers 👩🎨, engineers 👨💻 and mold builders 👨🔧 can collaborate
to improve 📈 the parts, processes and program
9. You can continue SELLING PRODUCT while designing, building and testing the multi-cavity, high-volume tools.
Generate revenue 💵 and market the product 📢
while molds are being built 👩🏭 and validated 🏅
10. Once built and in production, using multi-cavity tools should result in INCREASED PROGRAM PROFITABILITY.
Multiple cavity molds ➡️ Shorter manufacturing time ➡️ Lower part prices ➡️ Higher margins 😃